Hair scrunchies are a great beginner project, especially if you are hand sewing or teaching a child to sew. They are also great for using up scraps from your fabric stash!
All you need is:
Fabric (Cotton fabric is best)
Elastic (1/4 inch)
Needle and Thread (or use your sewing machine)
Fabric pen or a pencil
TIP – If you don’t have any fabric in your stash check your wardrobe for any clothes you are thinking about getting rid of. You want a cotton fabric, nothing too bulky or flimsy. Mens shirts are great for this or little cotton dresses with pretty prints.
How to Make:
- Cut a length of fabric 50cm x 9cm wide and 26 cm long
- Cut a length of elastic 26cm long
- Fold fabric lengthwise so right sides are together
- Sew along the long edge of the fabric leaving 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- Turn the fabric right side out and press with an iron.
- Insert the safety pin in one end of the elastic and thread it through the fabric, making sure not to pull it all the way through.
- Secure both ends of elastic with a knot.
- Fold in the edges of the fabric, and tuck one opening over the other. Sew a sew straight across to join the two sides.
There you go! Don’t stop now. Make some for your friends or start making them for Christmas. They are the perfect gift or if you are doing a craft fair they are always great sellers.